Monday, January 21, 2013

Dream? I Think Not

I heard the speech of Martin Luther Ling Jr. on Imus this week. He plays the speech in its entirety every year, and has done so for many years. (The hypocrisy of the people that attacked him is unbelievable, but that is for a different post).

I try to catch the speech every year. It is truly an amazing speech. I was especially struck how Dr. King could not have known nor probably even imagined that 49 years later this country would be inaugurating a black man for a second term.

I am also always struck by the message of the speech. That he is displeased with the status of race, but optimistic that it can improve, and improve through peaceful means.

Obviously, his trust has been borne out. However, I find it sad that the couple who has been a major beneficiary of his vision and the advantages of this country are the least deserving, most ungrateful, and most bent on destroying all that has made this country great.

The dream has turned into a national nightmare.

1 comment:

related said...

just read your blog, well written and succinctly said. it is indeed a sad quirk that the two in the white house seem to be bent on destroying all of the values of this great country I guess takers will always be takers Makes you wonder what Dr King would say or not say