Thursday, February 26, 2009

Does Excuse me Exist in Brooklyn?

I hate Brooklyn. Well, not actually the place, but the people sure do leave a lot to be desired. I was doing some holiday shopping for Lovey when I finished and got on line. I picked one that had one woman at the register, with what looked like 2 not very full wagons, a single girl behind her with a bit of stuff, and then me. You'd think I'd be out pretty quick. So did I. I didn't even pull out the berry.

Well, there was all kinds of commotion going on at the head of the line, boxes being set up, tape ripping, etc, so I patiently waited, while avoiding those attemping to get past me through my toes.

Then I realized that I have been standing in the same spot, (with numb toes by now) for quite some time, so I looked up and saw that there was still a wagon from the first woman at the register, with a little girl (around 7) standing next to it, without the woman. I asked the checkout girl where the woman went, and she had no idea. She asked the girl where her mother went, and we were all informed that she was filling up another wagon somewhere in the store.

So the checkout girl told the little girl ( keep up here folks) that she should get her mother, because she was holding up the line, which she did ( the little girl, not the checkout girl).

So then this woman comes waltzing back, pushing a FULL WAGON, with a flippant, in her hard bitten Brooklyn accent, " Sorry everybody". ( I don't think she really meant it, though). Now she didn't forget one or two items, this woman got on line to check out, watched most of the checking out process and then JUST LEFT TO CONTINUE SHOPPING.

I try very hard to keep of family friendly and PC here, but WHAT THE HELL WAS SHE THINKING???? I've seen people get on line and wait for someone else to come with another full wagon, that I can understand, however rude it is, but I have no idea on what planet these people operate where it is acceptable to just leave a line and continue to shop.

And then we wonder why our kids have no manners.

5 comments:

FBB said...

Unfortunately, I have learned lately that this is not specific to either Brooklyn or a specific ethnicity/religion. It's just more glaring when those in the community do it because we expect ourselves to be better.

Anonymous said...

We shouldn't just expect ourselves to be better, we actually should be better. Ignoring that it is rude and a difficulty to everyone else standing in line should be completely unacceptable to all people who are trying to live a life where Bain Adom L'Chaveiro means anything at all. It is not ok to believe that one is soooo busy that they can waste others precious time it is truly stealing! And it is more appalling when it occurs in a "specific religion"

Stuart said...

That's Brooklyn for you!

Anonymous said...

do your shopping in a civilized place, but of course, it costs more. Same goes for everything. The more you spend the easier it gets.

Anonymous said...

moral of the story:

ALWAYS pull out the berry. You'll never know what's going on around and be all the happier for it.