Wednesday, May 27, 2009

GEESE III

The geese are back with a vengeance. As you may recall, I occasionally have to go through a field on foot to get somewhere. Well, I was on my way there again this Saturday when I decided that as I was trying to catch up to Lovey and the girls, and I was going a different route, I would cut right across the first field, instead of using the winding path. (Note: even though I was going to the shul on the other side of town, I had not eaten or drank anything beforehand, so the CANNOT be blamed on any outside influence).


So I hit the field and I was going towards the far end when I noticed that the geese were back. But then I noticed something different about them. They weren't in the usual skulking about looking surly mode. Nope, something was definitely up with them. They were sort of lined up in a row, about 20 across, just looking at me, and not moving.


I just continued walking across this very large field, feeling like I was participating in the shootout scene at the OK Corral. The geese were puttin' up a racket, honkin' and hollerin' about, but I just kept saunterin' towards them, one foot in front of the other.


Well, all of a sudden, when I was about 200 feet away, the honking reached a crescendo, and then they started to move.


Towards me.



Fast.


And I realized that I was standing, all alone, right smack in the middle of the goose airport runway, and they were taking off in formation.


Now, if you have ever seen geese take off in unison, it is a sight to behold, they start running and honking and flapping, and slowly get airborne. Right at me. Then over me. It was both thrilling and a bit Hitchcockian.


Well, after they cleared the trees at then far end of the field, I continued on my way, passing the five remaining geese who, I guess were the ground crew, or on lunch, or something.


They, at least, were skulking about.

10 comments:

G6 said...

Very cool.
I would have loved to see that.

Stuart said...

Good thing they didn't drop anything on you as they went overhead

alwaysolderthanyou said...

I see no reason why you cannot say "shabbos" instead of saturday, since only family, dear friends, and people who know you and your religious persuasion read this blog. And most people know what Shabbos is, and if they don't, it is similar enough to Sabbath, and if they don't know THAT word, they probably can't read, don't have the internet, or any teeth.

Dr. G. W. Greunkern said...

Duly noted. Promptly ignored.

G6 said...

Please tell me that there is a statute of limitations on sibling rivalry....
Take it inside you two....
{eye roll}
P.S. I'm with alwaysolder on this one....

Dipsy said...

This was really funny.

SLiM said...

I'm lovin' readin' your posts. Whenever I end up readin' them, I always end up laughin'. Keep the posts comin'!

Sofianto said...

alwayolderthanyou - We are not all family or friends reading the blog. Although i do not know what religious pursuasion reads this blog I know mine and i know that I call the Seventh day Saturday. i am familiar with Sabbath and have never heard it called "shabbos" although I think that that is how the Amish pronounce it, but they too use the word Saturday. i dont know where you are going with this comment but the INTERNET is a BIG place and lots of people read stuff. Frankly if the post said "shabbos" or even Sabbath i dont think i would know if it meant Saturday which is when the Jews observe it, Sunday like the christians and many others or Wednesday which is the day that the bush men of Woga Woga ( east Indies) call their Sabbath, (Saturday, Sunday and Monday is spent- by the men- in making cheese, on Tuesday they blow off the steam , literally by cleaning their cheesecloths in the volcanic air of Mt. Wog. The women actually have their Sabbath on Tuesday and the make their cheese on Wednesday and Thursday ( friday is hunting day for all ).

What I didn't get though is where the doctor was going when he says "shul"

wolfman said...

"I had not eaten or drank"

I scremt at the the screen when I read that.

I think dranken is what you meant to say ( sorry to castigate)

alwaysoldernyou said...

sofianto,
too bad
I am related to him and will comment however I wish.

don't read the blog if it bothers you