Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Gas, Wind, and then, Solid Waste

Here's a copy of a letter I just sent to our State Senator, Thomas P. Morahan.

The Hon. Senator Thomas Morahan
Room 606 Legislative Office Building
Albany, New York 12247

Dear Senator Morahan

I just received my monthly invoice from Orange and Rockland utilities which included a small separately printed notice that the law requires electricity suppliers to inform their customers of the sources of their electricity (solid waste, wind, gas, etc) and the amount of their emissions relative to others in the state.

How can the Senate and the Assembly allow such wasteful and expensive nonsense to prevail as established law?

It costs money to print and to transport these notices, and it costs money to gather the required information. And who do you think is going to pay for all this? The utilities are a business and whatever it costs them to operate will be included in the price to their customers.

And for what purpose? I buy the cheapest electricity I can find, to provide light and comfort for myself and my family and I couldn't care less if the electricity comes from the pristine rays of the sun or from the methane produced by the flatulence of an elephant in the zoo. I am sure about 99% of electricity purchasers in this state feel the same.

3 comments:

dell said...

I'd rather it come from a more beautiful source. The back end of an elephant is overwhelmingly ugly.

dell said...

I'd rather it come from a more beautiful source. The back end of an elephant is overwhelmingly ugly.

Dr. G. W. Greunkern said...

you left out the harnessed wind (and waste?) of the New York State Government. Imagine how much THAT could power.