Wednesday, July 7, 2010

More Tales from Brooklyn

Its all about timing, folks. however, this time, it works to your advantage. Allow me to explain. ( "what else can we do, Mr. cryptic?" you wonder...)

I got to my office around 12 today about ten minutes later half the lights went out. I shut my computer as a precaution against a power surge ( trust me, the surge protectors only work up to a certain point). So I really couldn't do much except perspire and watch the mercury climb inside as the air conditioning was out as well.

Around 1:30 the power went out completely, in order to address the issue that had caused the brownout. I walked down the 12 flights to the ground floor, with the intention of heading into the local town for some lunch, and then depending on the power situation, I would return or more likely go home, as I had no desire to climb 12 flights in 100 degree heat.

I met someone downstairs, and I was in his air conditioned car chatting for about five minutes when I got a call from the office that the power was back on! Since I was merely in the parking lot, I really had no excuse to not return to the office immediately, which I did with great alacrity ( in case the boss reads this).

Others who had left right after me, expecting the power outage to continue, did not feel compelled to return to work (shame, shame). However, all is not lost, as I was able to get back on to my computer and dash off this entry, so that all of you out there in the blogsphere can benefit from my return as well.

2 comments:

FIL said...

glad to see how hard you are working for your boss. Did you do anything else after dashing off the post? I would have again shut down the computer to save it from power surges.

FBB said...

I can't believe more people didn't leave when the AC went out. No computer and lights is tough, but no AIR CONDITIONING IN 100 degree weather is downright ....yucky