Thursday, January 16, 2014

Rice Heaven

Who knew that there would be another post about food???? Amazing.

So I finally convinced Lovey to let me get a rice cooker. If I had posted a Green Friday update, you would know that, so this is, I guess, a combined shopping and cooking post.

The reason why I  don't post Green Fridays anymore is because I have ramped it way down. I might still share will all of you, but the best score of the day was a rice cooker that if I had had one more additional coupon that Lovey had, they would have actually paid me $2.00 to take it off their hands.

However, I  was very excited about the cooker, and I have been waiting to see what I can do with it. The latest thing that we made in it was Farro, a spelt ( kind of like Greunkern!!!) that we got at Costco. I figured that it should be decent in the rice cooker, so I put it in with the water setting for brown rice and some light spices and let it go. A half hour later we had a wonderful, warm, healthy and tasty side dish to dinner.

However, the best thing that I have been able to make is sushi rice for my sushi. two weeks ago I made 2 servings, which gave me 8 rolls. ( well, it SHOULD have been 8 rolls, but somehow 11 pieces went missing). Then last week I had company and took some requests, added another measure of rice and managed to get out 12 rolls ( This time 18 pieces were lost, weird, but they tasted yummy). we even sent the tray over to Soupeater, and the review were either good, or people were just being kind.









I think they looked great, and the rice comes out really well, but it takes a bit of time because I saute the carrots, mushrooms and onions in water ( we have eclectic taste in sushi here.)

So I decided that this week, after making the rice, I think I will use the steamer basket of the cooker to steam the veggies instead of cooking them up in a pot. It should make them a bit crispier and the processing a bit easier. I'll let you all know how it comes out.

1 comment:

related said...

according to dicesrning tasters it came out delicious what to be prod of effort usually produces positive results made with love even more luf related22455233