Thursday, January 28, 2010

Fly the Friendly Skies

Air travel has lately gotten a deservedly bad rap. More about this in my next post.

Sometimes,it can still be fun. Take for instance a flight I took from Atlanta to Orlando this week. Security was a hassle, it's true, but as security goes, it wasn't bad. There was no crowding and no untoward delays to the shoeless, midriff showing masses. The plane was completely full, not a single seat empty. Of course some of the later boarders didn't get their bags on board which must have been unpleasant for them. I was in the final zone to be called but I found a place for my luggage a few seats in front of my assigned seat. The stewardesses were amazingly competent; there was no sense of them being harried or other manifestations of distress sometimes seen when a plane gets full.

We took off on time into the smooth clear air of a beautiful night. The ride continued to be smooth, I did not feel cramped because the plane was uncharacterically roomy (a 757, single aisle, originally used as an overseas aircraft). The added amenity which made things even more pleasant was an on-board wifi system which allowed me to pass the time in IM conversations with two of my children. I first thought there would be no refreshment on board but to my surprise they served drinks. I asked if they had any pretzels and received an apologetic negative although I was offered peanuts. As the plane descended to a painted-on landing, the stewardess who had originally served our row handed me two bags of pretzels which, apparently, she found on board.

As I left the plane, thanking all the crew, she said to me, "Goodnight, Mr. Pretzels."

2 comments:

G6 said...

Which airline has free Wifi?

soupeater said...

g6 the wifi wasn't free but it only cost $4.95 for the flight since it was for less than one hour. the rates go up as the trip lengthens.

The airline I flew on was Delta, but there are others that offer wifi.