Wednesday, January 20, 2010

My Faith in People Has Been Restored ( for now)

I have two quasi political posts but I will break up the joy here with this one first. -Dr. G.


We went to Canada this past week (its not the complete reason for lack of posts, but the material I got from the trip should make up for it). So we were thinking of stopping overnight in Rochester to break up the trip. When Stretch heard this, he said to us "great, now I can pick up my tie."

We asked him what he was talking about, and he informed us that the last time we were in Rochester, 2 1/2 years ago, he left his tie in the shul (synagogue) there. he claimed he left it on the back table, and he was sure that it was still there.

Well, not wishing to disabuse his faith in human nature, but due to a change in plans, we ended up in Syracuse instead. However, on the way back, an opportunity presented itself to pass by the shul in Rochester. Lovey bet him 2 bucks that it wouldn't be there, and I was willing to put up 5 additional dollars, but that was too rich for Stretch, since, I guess, he wasn't THAT sure the tie would be there. He says to me as we were entering the building, " just so you know, its a Croft & Barrow tie, with circles on it". Sure, dude, whatever you say.

So we walk in, and I ask someone if there is a lost and found box, and the answer is no. So we go to the back table and wouldn't you know it, after 2 1/2 years, the TIE WAS NO LONGER on the back table. Gee, I guess they clean up once in a while, even in quiet places like Rochester.

However, not to be discouraged yet, we rifled through a box of skullcaps on the back ledge, and wouldn't you know it, NO TIE! So now I tell him "why don't you check the coatroom?" Figuring the same, continuing result. He goes in and after a bit pops out, and wouldn't you know it...... his tie is in his hand!

Amazing.

2 comments:

Dipsy said...

That is really cool.

The first year we were living out of town Hubby wore a brand new kittel for Yom Kippur (from our wedding) the next year we could not find it ANYWHERE. We called the house were we had broken the fast and also again checked the shul we davened at, (though I was sure he had worn it home)
5-9 years later the shul did a renovation and they emptied out some coat room or storage room and posted a notice for the community. We decided to give it one last shot and there was the kittel just hanging there. It was even clean!
Though not as alarming as a stray tie!

FBB said...

Considering that innmost shuls, the men are in charge of the coatrooms and the main sanctuary, it surprises me not at all. Who excatly would have discarded it? And I don't believe that people would just take someone else's clothing that was lying around...all shul coat mix up not withstanding