Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Do I look fat with this?

I recently attended a celebration for a relative. At the coffee station there were some danishes and pastries set out. As I got my coffee, I picked up a small rugelach that both intrigued and called out to me.

First, some background. I had lost about forty pounds, but have since put about half of that back. ( I know, I know, some people want a refund!) So I am in the middle of where I was at both my heaviest and lightest.

As I pick up this pastry, I met a relative. He looked at my hand, then my midsection, and asked me if I was putting the weight back on.

So now I was wondering, if I had had a carrot in my hand, would he have asked me if I was losing weight again?

I think that the whole thing is really perception. I mean, I was wearing a jacket and tie, its not like I have this big gut just sticking out in its own time zone here. People tend to look at the circumstances to make a decision. It does make sense that if I am not at my thinnest, and I am eating cookies and cakes, that I am probably not in diet mode, even if I should be. But I could be at an optimum weight ( remember, round IS a shape, after all), just maintaining, or cheating a little bit ( it was a little rugelach, not a big donut or cookie).

As to the ultimate question whether it was worth it?

YUP

3 comments:

G6 said...

It seems to me you need new relatives ... ;)

FBB said...

Lose the beard and get a haircut, you'll look ten pounds lighter!!!

i (c'mon, you knew that was coming)

Stuart said...

Stay away from the booze, the alcohol is loaded with calories!