Monday, November 30, 2009

Green Friday III

I would be remiss if I didn't comment on my travels this past black Friday ( previously referred to as Green Friday, for obvious reasons.) As many of you know, this is a day of great fun for me, as I always enjoy the experience, the camaraderie of bargain hunters ( unless two of them are going for the same item, then it can be bloody, which is even more fun for the onlookers), and the feeling of getting a good bargain on something for which I have been watching the price, waiting for it to drop.


My first stop was my favorite store, Walmart. I got there at 7, with all the "hot" items long gone (as well as the insane crowds. I find the best time to shop is at 7. The first crush of dedicated shoppers are gone, and regular people are not out yet). Well, as I was roaming the store, as they move all the doorbusters all over the store, I saw one of the electronic items I wanted on a shelf of towels. ("Score!). Then I got on line. As I was standing there, I noticed someone standing at the front of the bag area. After the person at the register was taken care of, the cashier took this person ahead of me. She was buying some toys. After the purchased were rung up, she took a Benefits card out of her wallet and swiped it through.

Now, I do not profess to be an expert in the fine print of the welfare benefits system, but I am pretty sure that IT DOES NOT INCLUDE THE PURCHASE OF TOYS!!!

This pretty much dovetails with what Soupeater was talking about earlier. The clear abuse of our aid system is what is doing this country in. And now they want to take over another aspect of our lives, when it is well known that the abuse of medicare is even more rampant that welfare.

Enough of that, then I went to the Palisades mall ( via the Nanuet mall, which was as busy as a regular day, sad.) I was on the elevator when a family entered. There was a man and woman, both very calm, each pushing a carriage, and three little children. One of the kids was carrying on and the wife good naturedly asked her husband " Having fun yet?"

I looked at them and said " enjoy them, my kids don't come with me anymore." Which was actually a bit bittersweet for me. I always enjoyed sharing the fun with the kids, but now they either have school that day, are away, or not interested.

I guess I will have to wait for them to be out of school and on their own, then I can get on line with them at 5 AM at Best Buy again.

1 comment:

Dipsy said...

this was the first year that one of my kids went. I think it made it more fun!