Tuesday, March 3, 2009

right this way sir

Weird things happened to me tonight. I wear an NYPD ski cap, not because I am a cop, or love the boys in blue, but because it was free! (of course). So I get off the train at 42nd and Park and start walking west on 42nd street. Suddenly, a gentleman stops me and asked me which direction is 51st street. (Please note the extreme irony of this entire post, in that I have a terrible sense of direction, and never really know where I am in the city, but more on that later)

I tell the man to go north, and he starts walking with me. I ask him where on 51st he's going, he tells me Lexington. I politely inform him that he is going the wrong direction, and point him towards Lexington Avenue.
I then proceed west, and when I hit Madison, a group of Oriental young people asked me where Times Square was. I informed them to just keep walking west on 42nd Street, and they wouldn't be able to miss it.
As I continued west, as I turned up Fifth Avenue, I.thought it mighty strange that 2 people asked me for directions. I mean, I get lost in a box if there aren't clear directions, and whenever I get out of the subway, I look for the Empire State Building to orient myself.
Well, my life as an information booth apparenly still wasn't ove, and wouldn't you believe, not two blocks up, a pair of European women asked me, in broken French (or something sounding like it) where Madison Square Garden was!
Fortunately, I knew where that was as well, and was able to point them south and west, as well as tell them where they could pick up a train for one stop.

Needless to say, I was feeling pretty useful and smug, until io realized that I had missed the store I was looking for, and had to double back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ha. there's nothing like that feeling when you've given a very clear sense of direction to someone, only to realize you've sent them the wrong way. i once gave someone directions that sent them in a big circle and i met five minutes later