Thursday, March 12, 2009

Thank you, Mr. Madoff

Bernie Madoff benefited me greatly today, I really need to thank him for helping me out.

Here's what happened.

I was going to Court in Manhattan this morning. I was running late since I slept a little later than usual, and I had to drive my son to the city. ( For the same reason.) Anyhow, the check-in for the Courts is 9:30-10:30, then you are late. I got to Court around 10:45. I went to the officer at the desk to check in and noticed that my file was in front of her with a sticky on it that said I wasn't there. I said I was there to check in on the case and she informed me, quite insistently, that check=in was 9:30-10:30 and that I was late. I told her that I had been "Madoffed", that I had gotten caught in the heavier than usual traffic in lower Manhattan for the plea spectacle that was going on today ( which is true.) She then relented and said " oh, is it really bad out there?", removed the sticky, and put the file back in the present pile.

The traffic was pretty bad, and I had avoided the east side because of it ( the Federal Court is between the east side and the court I was in) but I was actually late, and should have left earlier.

So for all of you out there castigating the man, at least let us realize that he has done some good in his life.

I have no idea what excuse I will use next time, though.

No comments: