Friday, July 10, 2009

BAGEL STORE REVIEW

I have heard it said that in order for an eating establishment to be successful, 2 of three elements must be met. Good Food, Good Price, Good Service. i agree with this and feel that if you hit 2 out of 3, you have a chance to be successful. 3 out of 3 is even better, but less than 2, forget it.

Which brings me to a new feature here at the good Doctor, restaurant ( if they can all be called that) reviews! ( You lucky lucky readers!)

So the establishment is question is the bagel store in Passaic. We have friends there, Lady G, (who has been mentioned before) and her husband, Someone ( more on his name later). Over the years, we try to meet on legal holidays for breakfast. Usually we would meet in Monsey, since that is where the bagel stores were. Recently, one opened in Passaic, and they couldn't really get away for long , so we agreed to meet there.

Now, I have been there before, but fortunately, I have a short memory for unpleasant events, so I didn't remember much about it. This time, however, I think I will remember.

We got on line with one person ahead of us. Keep in mind that it was a holiday weekend, and many people were off. Our friends ordered first. I was next up. Now, I usually go for a breakfast special, since those are relatively difficult to mess up. However, having has experience with these as well, they usually don't have the potatoes, which make the whole deal. Even better is a HOBO, which is less egg, ( 1 vs. 2) less potato, all on a bagel for less money.

So I was prepared to order the HOBO, but alas, it wasn't on the menu. So I was about to order the special when I saw the second guy behind the counter make up 2 breakfast specials, and i realized there were not a lot of potatoes left on the grill. I ordered it, for almost six dollars (much more than the Monsey price) and the man at the counter told me that I was the last one. ( since they were out of potatoes at 10 AM , apparently). Lovey ordered a wrap, that they were at least smart enough to prepare beforehand, so that we took right off the fridge shelf.

Well, I went to get the coffee that comes with it and my friend said I should probably wait, since speed is not a strong point in this place, and I would probably have to wait. I have also heard since from others that if they want to stop for a quick sandwich even in the middle of the day in the middle of the week, this place is NOT the store to go to. So I waited. And waited. And sat down with our friends, who's order was finally ready. And waited some more.

It was during this time that I realized my friend's real name was Someone, as in " Someone was supposed to fix the sink" and "Someone was supposed to deal with the camp."

Finally, I went to the counter and asked what had happened. Did they have to wait for the chicken to lay the egg? Had they sent someone out to hoe some potatoes? Was the grill in fact on?

Better.

I was told that he had told me that there were no more breakfast specials available. To which I replied in the negative, relating our conversation to him. he just lost the order in the 3 feet from the counter to the grill, apparently.

Now since I had to run to a funeral, I told him to forget it, and just refund the money I had paid for it, less the coffee I have finally poured. We worked it all out, and we left.

So here is the review. Its a holiday weekend, with lots of customers coming in, realize this and have more or better help. If you mess up something, at least comp the coffee. This eatery could seriously use some competition to hopefully whip it into shape.

Price, lousy ( higher than Monsey prices)
Service, even worse.
Food, I have no idea, since I didn't get it ( I tasted the wrap, it wasn't bad, though).

I would not recommend this place, unless you have an entire day for breakfast or a sandwich, aren't really hungry, or have something to eat in the car, just in case.

5 comments:

Stuart said...

Next time order Greunkern

FBB said...

that's why in Monsey, Kosher Castle is the place to go. good food, fast, and people who actually seem happy to be working there.

They own the bagel store too, and it's efficient, and good food, the coffee is great, no burnt starbucks there.

FIL said...

avenue R is pretty good too.

FIL said...

avenue r is pretty good too, for the same reasons

FBB said...

In the great Hollywood tradition, I bestow upon you a self congratulatory award.

Enjoy.

You're It.