Thursday, December 10, 2009

Boondoggle City

I went to Court today, hoping for some material to write about. Alas, nothing.

However,

After court I had the (mis)fortune to have to deal with something at the buildings department. I knew that I was in for a rough ride when the "guard" who runs the magnetometer and X-ray machine made me check my radio. My cell phone with a camera was fine, as was the digital camcorder I had in my pocket, but for some reason, the radio for the volunteer ambulance squad is a problem. I happen to know that there is a letter from the city that allows me to carry it, but I figured getting into a battle of wits with these clearly unarmed members (I DON'T mean guns) of the security team would not be productive, so I just let it go.

Then the fun really started. I went to the office I needed to be in. After ten minutes, someone sauntered out and took my paperwork. He came back fifteen minutes later having filled out a receipt and one line on another paper, and told me to go downstairs and pay and then return.

"Easy enough" I figured, forgetting that I haven't had to deal with idiotic city agencies in quite some time. Well, first, you have to get on a line in order to get a ticket to get into the queue to be seen. This involves another ten minute wait to show the girl my paperwork, as well as ID. (Ostensibly to prevent other people from paying my company's fines.) Then another ten minute wait for the cashier, who was about as friendly as the first girl. ( Not very, in case you are wondering).

After this, you would think the transaction would be finished. However, if you were paying attention above, or if you know how the city works, this is of course not the case. I then had to go back to the FIRST office, ask to see the same gentleman, wait the requisite ten additional minutes for him to walk the probable thirty feet or less to the reception area to exchange the receipt I was given for the one he was holding, and a pre-printed letter with his addition of a check mark.

Now you have an understanding why the city is going bankrupt, as well as why no one wants to do business in or with the city.

No comments: