Friday, December 25, 2009

To Whom Belongs this Coat?

We recently attended a family celebration in another city, about an hour and a half drive from home. It was a cold night and necessitated some outerwear. My wife took her coat out of the coat closet and was ready to go. Before we left, daughter took a series of pictures of her parents, dressed for a party.

When we arrived at the party locale, we hung our coats on the rack provided for the guests and joined the other guests.

When it came time to leave, my wife took a while to come outside and when she did, it was sans coat. I didn't understand what had happened and it turned out that her coat was missing. I went back in to check and noticed a coat that looked very much like the one she came in, and it was hanging in the exact place the original coat had been hung. I am usually not very observant but I could plainly see that this was not my wife's coat. We therefore decided to leave it where it was but asked the hostess to take it home in case no one else claimed it.

Upon arrival home, putting her pashmina in the closet, she exclaimed "Here's my coat!" Well, even Houdini couldn't do this trick effectively. Turns out, she had taken daughter's coat.

When I asked daughter if she had gotten her coat back, she indicated that she didn't really use that coat very much and as an indication of how little she used it she said, "I took five pictures of it and didn't even notice it was mine!"

1 comment:

Dipsy said...

just read this now. Did the hostess ever get you back daughters coat?