Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Mom knows best

I was listening to the radio recently and I heard ad for the new kind of thermometer that promises to give an accurate reading with just a swipe of the forehead. What got my attention the most was the kid in the ad, who whines "I hate the one that goes in the ear".



This struck me as extremely funny for two reasons. One, in my day, the complaint was similar, but the last word had an extra letter. Two, the in the ear thermometer was such an advancement when it came out, especially over the previous, aforementioned measurement procedure. We were amazed that a temperature could be obtained so quickly and accurately without all the previous fuss. Now this is known as the archaic method to get a temperature, and people are complaining that it is too uncomfortable.



I am not sure when I became an old man yellin' at the young whippersnappers that they don't know how good they have it, but considering the speed of technology today, I am not surprised that it happened a lot earlier than I thought it would.



On the flip side, the other approved method for taking temperature when I was a kid was my mother's lips on my forehead. ("you're fine. go to school"). So really the more things change, the more they stay the same.

4 comments:

nursing student said...

while the tympanic thermometers seem more accurate, they actually fall short in comparison with rectal thermometers which take core temperature. the most inaccurate reading will come from an axillary thermometer, and will be one or two degrees lower than those obtained internally

Dr. Boo Boo Gone said...

Actually both the tympanic and forehead thermometers are not reliable. Tympanic can be innacurate due to waxy ears or simply by pointing it slightly tword the wrong part of the ear which is easy to do. Recently I had a mild "discussion" with a nurse at one of our favorite schools who tried to make my son go home b/c of a tympanic thermometer she apprently didn't know how to use.

big sis said...

do you have to shmear vaseline on this one? if not it aint part of the whole temperature experience

bigs said...

if you don't have to shmear vaseline on it first, then squirm all day, it ain't the real temperature experience