Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Breakfast for Prayers

We were in Baltimore for the weekend. At the beginning of the services, a man walked in with his son. The son was holding an ordinary looking plastic shopping bag, not bulging or anything. I thought to myself, "Oh no, this is not going to end well". Generally when the kids come that prepared, its because they are unable to sit quiet for more that ten seconds.

However, he was sitting quietly, but immediately started to eat. "here comes the shmecking" I thought, but I was pleasantly surprised, as he opened a baggie full of cereal, made a brocho, and commenced to munch with his mouth closed. I was thrilled.

After the cereal came cookies and then mentos. These are NOT quiet, and the chewing got a lot louder, specifically noticeable because this was the one part of the services that are REALLY quiet. Except for the shmecking. Oh well, I guess that is the hazard of being near a child who came to shul for breakfast. ( I wonder if this is the root cause of future "Kiddush Club" members?)

This kids was not at all heavy, but there were more cookies, then some wafers. I am pretty sure there were more goodies that I just don'[t remember all of them, as I couldn't write down all that came out of this miraculous bag. I was beginning to think that this bag had Mary Poppins like properties, and was tempted to see if there was a lamp somewhere in the bag.

Eventually the services ended, I assume before the snacks ran out.

2 comments:

fil said...

i was present as well and first became aware of the comestibles by the sweet aroma. Then noticed the boy dipping every few seconds into the bag and coming up with another cookie or other delight. It seemed there was an inexhaustible supply of goodies and I was reminded of a magician pulling incredibly long lengths of handkerchiefs out of an empty hat.

All this notwithstanding, if every kid behaved like this one, it would be a truly beautiful world

FBB said...

Were you annoyed by this, I can't tell. How old was the kid? It is possible that the mother had to be away, and the father came up with this plan to be able to get to shul and keep the kid quiet while he davened. If it was your shul and a regular occurrence that would be one thing, but since you were away, you could have been witnessing anything.