Monday, August 15, 2011

Of Money and Melons

I don't know when I last looked but I am quite sure that this morning, our refrigerator was still well stocked with cherries and grapes. When I got home this afternoon, there were none to be found. Also missing was the spongy, hollow-feeling cantaloupe - the last of the original three - which only this morning was lying on a kitchen counter slowly deteriorating before our eyes.

I asked the chief, multi-tasking, householder about the cherries and grapes and she told me that they had been finished. Skeptically, I asked her if they had been disposed of and I was assured that they had been eaten.

"What about the melon?" I asked. Not being able to plausibly tell me that it had also been eaten, she agreed that it had been tossed.

"So, one's been given away, and one's been thrown out. Not very economical"

"Yes," came the reply. "I'll have to buy some more."

1 comment:

FBB said...

Too funny!
Grapes and Cherries do well (in terms of being eaten) if they are left out where people can see them and nosh on them. Melon only disappears if it is cut up and left on a plate in the center of communal action. It's too big of a commitment to take it out and cut it.
So, for economical purposes be sure that you cut the next slew of melons that make their way into your abode, and alleviate one of the multi-tasking jobs of the chief multi -tasker!