Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Potato. Potahto

This issue has come up before, essentially at the creation of this blog, and the subsequent spelling of Greunkern, which may or may not have been a mistake.

I made reference in my past post to Jack, the fish currently living with us. ( And still living, thank goodness). i referred to him as "Beta" I was then corrected by one of our eagle eyed readers that is is spelled "Betta". We then conducted an informal test, ( putting in betta in a search engine) and most of the returns DID spell the name with two "T"s. However, not all of them did, as there was one site that referred to the fish as "beta". I felt vindicated.

However, in continuing my research for this post, I went back to that same site, and scrolled down. I saw a heading that said "Spelling" so I thought, great, vindication. Alas, here is the paragraph


1. Spelling
The names Beta Fish, Fighting Beta Fish, and Siamese Beta Fish are often seen. But Beta is a misspelling of Betta, which is a word that comes from the scientific name Betta splendens.


So I sit here, corrected. henceforth, the fish I mention that we are betta-sitting for shall be called by its correct name.


Jack

2 comments:

Eagle Eye Reader said...

I also rechecked that site this morning and was going to send you the link noting the header!

I didn't want to be too "I told you so," see, you found it yourself!

a fan said...

thank you for important information